who footage from old wplj commercial?
Mad Scientist Jr
2005-12-01 04:59:17 UTC
i remember seeing an old wplj ad long ago (early 80s?) that i think
showed townsend smashing his guitar - the film was all filtered and
black&white/animated looking - can anyone confirm this and also what
was the music? i don't remember it being any song from a who album i
had heard at the time.
f***@yahoo.com
2005-12-01 05:29:53 UTC
Is WPLJ a radio station?

There was an ad around that time that used TKAA footage and someone
gave it that animated look...it was one of those generic spots local
radio stations around the country used. They were in several markets.
All the local stations did was slap their logo on it and give it a
localized a voiceover. It was used by DC 101 here.
Ted Maloney
2005-12-01 06:26:47 UTC
Post by Mad Scientist Jr
i remember seeing an old wplj ad long ago (early 80s?) that i think
showed townsend smashing his guitar - the film was all filtered and
black&white/animated looking - can anyone confirm this and also what
was the music? i don't remember it being any song from a who album i
had heard at the time.
I remember the ad, but I don't remember the source or the music. I was
very young and inattentive at that time!
Me
2005-12-01 12:49:32 UTC
Post by Mad Scientist Jr
i remember seeing an old wplj ad long ago (early 80s?) that i think
showed townsend smashing his guitar - the film was all filtered and
black&white/animated looking - can anyone confirm this and also what
was the music? i don't remember it being any song from a who album i
had heard at the time.
The ad from WPLJ simply used footage from The Kids Are Alright. I
remember it well.
Mad Scientist Jr
remember it well.
Me
2005-12-01 14:56:01 UTC
Post by Me
Post by Mad Scientist Jr
i remember seeing an old wplj ad long ago (early 80s?) that i think
showed townsend smashing his guitar - the film was all filtered and
black&white/animated looking - can anyone confirm this and also what
was the music? i don't remember it being any song from a who album i
had heard at the time.
The ad from WPLJ simply used footage from The Kids Are Alright. I
remember it well.
I don't believe that it was Who music that was used in the ad. In fact,
it was scenes of many different musicians and bands with a non-descript
heavy metal-screeching guitar thing playing over it.
Mad Scientist Jr
2005-12-01 17:45:55 UTC
The wplj one I remember wasn't really "shred" guitar, it was a bitchen
bluesy hard rock riff (which i was wishing was gonna be some rare live
unreleased Who tune). But we're talking 20+ years since seeing this ad
plus my bad memory, so what probably sounded good to my kids ears then
would very possibly sound screechy today!
Me
2005-12-01 18:26:56 UTC
Post by Me
Post by Mad Scientist Jr
i remember seeing an old wplj ad long ago (early 80s?) that i think
showed townsend smashing his guitar - the film was all filtered and
black&white/animated looking - can anyone confirm this and also what
was the music? i don't remember it being any song from a who album i
had heard at the time.
The ad from WPLJ simply used footage from The Kids Are Alright. I
remember it well.
I don't believe that it was Who music that was used in the ad. In fact,
it was scenes of many different musicians and bands with a non-descript
heavy metal-screeching guitar thing playing over it.
Well, your description of the music used is just as valid as mine. You
liked it. I didn't. No big deal there. it definitely wasn't The Who
though.
Mad Scientist Jr
though.
keifspoon
2005-12-02 03:40:03 UTC
It's from the end of WGFA from TKAA.
Me
2005-12-02 19:09:06 UTC
Yeah, that's right. Just the visuals though, not the music.
m***@gmail.com
2016-02-19 01:54:00 UTC
Post by Mad Scientist Jr
i remember seeing an old wplj ad long ago (early 80s?) that i think
showed townsend smashing his guitar - the film was all filtered and
black&white/animated looking - can anyone confirm this and also what
was the music? i don't remember it being any song from a who album i
had heard at the time.
It's been a while but this ad is on youtube:

any idea who does the music?
m***@gmail.com

any idea who does the music?
cruciverbalist
2017-05-14 22:49:02 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Mad Scientist Jr
i remember seeing an old wplj ad long ago (early 80s?) that i think
showed townsend smashing his guitar - the film was all filtered and
black&white/animated looking - can anyone confirm this and also what
was the music? i don't remember it being any song from a who album i
had heard at the time.
http://youtu.be/kcmm2rtFMGU
any idea who does the music?
I gave it a listen. Sorry, no idea. But I'd like to know also.